2017 FRC Western Canada Regional
2017 Competition April 6th to 8th, 2017
General Event Information
This page contains general information for the public and for teams about the event itself. We’ll be continuously updating this page as the regional approaches, so please check back regularly for current information.
If you are looking for Travel, Location, Parking, or Accommodation information please see the Travel Info page:
FRC Western Canada Regional – Travel Info
About the Competition
The 2017 FRC Western Canada Regional will feature an international selection of 49 teams from Canada, the USA, Mexico, Australia, China, Poland, Turkey. As Western Canada’s top level youth robotics tournament, this high-tech sporting event is exciting and energetic as our participants compete in a complex STEM challenge.
This year’s FRC Challenge is FIRST STEAMWORKS, where two Alliances of three robots each prepare for a long distance airship race by collecting fuel to build steam pressure, installing gears to engage rotors, and climbing aboard for lift off. The airship best prepared for flight when the launch timer reaches zero wins. To score points, robots:
- Build Steam Pressure: Robots collect fuel (balls) and score it in their boiler via high and low efficiency goals. Boilers turn fuel into steam pressure which is stored in the steam tank on their airship – but it takes more fuel in the low efficiency goal to build steam than the high efficiency goal.
- Start Rotors: Robots deliver gears to pilots on their airship for installation. Once the gear train is complete, they turn the crank to start the rotor.
- Prepare For Flight: Robots must latch on to their airship before launch (the end of the match) by ascending their ropes to signal that they’re ready for takeoff.
Team Robot Load-in
Wed. Apr. 5 – 6:00PM – 8:00PM
Public General Admission: Free
Thu. Apr. 6 – 8:30AM – 8:00PM
Fri. Apr. 7 – 8:00AM – 6:30PM
Sat. Apr. 8 – 8:00AM – 6:30PM
Thu. Apr. 6th from 12:00PM to 6:30PM
Fri. Apr. 7th from 9:00AM to 12:00PM
Fri. Apr. 7th from 1:00PM to 5:45PM
Sat. Apr. 8th from 9:00AM to 12:15PM
Sat. Apr. 8th from 1:30PM to 4:30PM
Sat. Apr. 8th from 4:30PM to 6:00PM
*Please note these times may be subject to change
Additional On-Site Activities/Amenities
Technology Row Exhibition
This year we have a technology exhibition row planned with some of our educational and technology partners setting up informational, educational, and activity booths.
Technology Row will be open to competitors and the public alike on Friday and Saturday from 9AM to 11:00AM and 1:00PM to 4:00PM both days.
Robotics demonstrations for FTC and FLL will be showcasing the different levels of FIRST programs
- All Friday, FTC Alberta FTC Robotics Demonstration.
- Saturday Noon, First Lego League demonstration.
- Ft. MacMurray RCMP Bomb disposal robot on display at the Steampunk Team Party
If you’re interested in robotics programs, this will be a great time to learn about the various levels of FIRST, see the robots in action, and interact with the students who built them.
In addition to the existing food court facilities available on the U of C campus, the following additional Food Vendors will be set up in and/or around the Oval:
Main Lunch Vendor (April 6-8):
- BubbaQ Legendary Alberta BBQ : Will be on site to provide a variety of $5.00 lunch meals, snacks, desserts and beverages. Speciality is Texas BBQ but will be providing variety of choices. Gluten free and vegetarian choices available.
Food Trucks (April 7,8 -11AM-2PM) Will be located outside on Collegiate Blvd
Cowboy Canteen Concessions (April 6-8 – 3PM-6PM) :
- Various bottled drinks, and snack items
In addition to food we will also have a merchandise “Swag Table” set up where individuals will be able to purchase the following items:
- Baseball Caps